..............................Persis is married!..............................

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Getting ready in the morning

"The place that God calls us is that place where the world's deep hunger and our deep desire meet." ~ Frederick Buechner
"Security is not found in the absence of danger, but in the presence of Jesus." ~ Jeanine
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armour of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armour of God... Stand firm then, (1) with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, (2) with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and (3) with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, (4) take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. (5) Take the helmet of salvation and (6) the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And (7) pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests." ~ Ephesians 6 (numbering is my own)
Yesterday, I woke up and spent one hour getting ready for work.
First, I brushed my teeth and washed my face, staring into the mirror. Then I went through my twice-daily toilette: tone, moisturise etc., staring into the mirror. I spent some time doing my stretches, humming along to Beth Nielson Chapman. Walking into my wardrobe, I wondered what to wear. Hm, no meetings today, so jeans and couduroy jacket. With heels or boots? Heels, I decided, my favourite snake skin ones. Then it was time to put on my make-up: foundation, powder, eye make-up, blusher etc. Hm, I need to buy cotton wool and mascara. I decided to put up my hair that day, so it was another exercise of knots and hairspray. One last look in the mirror. Finally, I was ready to go to work.
What if I spent one hour every morning putting on the armour of God - making sure that my belt of truth was sitting at a fashionable angle around my waist, that no stray hairs were escaping from my helmet of salvation. What if I spent one hour every morning sharpening my sword of the Spirit, making sure my breastplate of righteousness was buckled on tight before I faced the day? What if I spent one hour every morning praying? What if?
So that's what I did.
I've been down with the flu these past coupla days. My head is feeling terribly foggy with all that caffeine and antibiotics - a potent mixture. But I am excited about this paper I'm currently writing (despite the inevitable occasions of doubt). *cough cough* Nonetheless, God intervened tonight - IT services took the whole system offline for repairs before schedule, so I couldn't work. Go home, go home, He seemed to be saying. So I did. Think I'm going into work tomorrow, when the sytem is back on. But that's a happy thing for once.
For all mothers out there, especially mine:
"To be Queen Elizabeth within a definite area, deciding sales, banquets, labours, and holidays; to be Whitely within a certain area, providing toys, boots, cakes, and books; to be Aristotle within a certain area, teaching morals, manners, theology, and hygiene; I can understand how this might exhaust the mind, but I cannot imagine how it could narrow it. How can it be a large career to tell other people's children about the Rule of Three, and a small career to tell one's own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone and narrow to be everything to someone? No, a woman's function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. ~ G.K. Chesterton

No comments: