..............................Persis is married!..............................

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Recipe: Steamed Razor Clams / Borough Market on a Saturday

It was cold today, beyond cold in London terms. Sunny and very very cold.

Had coffee with new best friend and F, my friend from France. Then, together, we picked some rather nice selections at Borough Market today: (pictures to follow soon)
- chorizo sausages from Brindisa (which I had for lunch)
- rocket, sweetcorn, spinach, leek and blue potatoes from Booth
- ossobucco and pork mince from The Ginger Pig (the latter I used to make jiaozi this afternoon)
- razor clams and Indonesian yellowfin tuna from Morecambe Bay (razor clams have been consumed)
- eggs from random stall
- some fruity Comte from ponsy French stall
and
- a really nice bottle of Chateau Belingard Monbazillac 2002, which I am having a glass of in bed while writing this

You know, I honestly never knew that shellfish like mussels and razor clams are actually alive when they are bought and cooked?! They look dead to me. Well, I took the razor clams out of the fridge this evening, intending to cook them for dinner. Using a knife, I slit one of them at the side opening. Ok, what happened next really sent shivers down my spine! The clam made a horrible squishy soft squeak, nipped my finger and slid out of its shell. I squeaked too. Panicking, I called my new best friend. Apparently, her clams were squeaking the moment she took them out of the fridge. It was horrible.

But I soon got over it.

My recipe for steamed razor clams:

Razor clams
Raw garlic, chopped finely
Raw chilli, chopped finely
Raw ginger, chopped finely
Raw spring onion, chopped finely

Light soya sauce (if possible, for seafood), 1tbsp
Oyster sauce, 1 tbsp
Chinese rice wine 1 tbsp

1. Steam the razor clams for 4-5 minutes. Do not cook them longer as they get rubbery when overcooked.
2. At the 2-3 minute mark, the shells should have opened. Sprinkle the raw condiments on top of the razor clams and continue steaming.
3. Heat the sauces and wine with some water (approx. 6 tbsp, more if necessary after tasting).
4. Take razor clams out of steamer only when ready to serve. Pour away any excess water. Pour sauce over clams.

1 comment:

orangeclouds said...

Congrats on the successful tuna and steak and the new best friend :) You've also reminded me of the wonders of Borough Market and inspired me for a moment to go steam clams - until I realised good fresh non-icky ones would be hell to find in my land-locked, hygiene-suspect city.