..............................Persis is married!..............................

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Floggers

If you haven't noticed, my list of floggers has expanded - not dramatically, but certainly - over the last few days since I resumed cooking seriously again. Breadcoffeechocolateyoga and Movable Feast were blogs I used to read as a postgraduate, when blogging was still in its infancy - the first disappeared from the scene for a little while and I've only rediscovered it this week. Chez Pim, Chubby Hubby, Elise, Greedy Goose, Kuidaore and Umami are old favourites who got me reading flogs in the first place. From new addition Eggsbaconchipsandbeans, whom I came across a long time ago together with Rasa Malaysia and recently resurrected, I found two greasy spoons near my workplace this week, both in parks - how lovely! Then there are two wonderful brand new finds this week: Homesick Texan, whose American bbq entry made me laugh (it's a religion - it's true!) and whose mum's chocolate fudge I'm going to try this weekend. As well as Nordljus, who has fantastic photography (I really should try harder).

It occurs to me that there is a community of overseas Asians who cook a lot, inspired by a love for food and a deep-felt homesickness. If you ask me what I miss most about home, for example, it would unhesitatingly be (1) family and (2) the food. And you might be surprised, but the two are interwined mysteriously by tradition and memories. Growing up, most family interactions, important annoucements, celebrations etc. occured over food. One of my most vivid childhood memories is mum and her mum (my grandmum) making me roll love letters (traditional egg rolls) off a hot smokey grill with my (then) little fingers - child labour! Even now, I get at least 3 rice cravings each week and cook mostly Chinese and S.E.Asian cuisine - I'm still perfecting the latter. I would go on more, but there's work to do. You get the idea, though, that food is really an integral part of my being.

That's my excuse for eating and cooking, anyway.

No comments: