..............................Persis is married!..............................

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Break in Peniel (edited)

Bethel
(Escaping Esau and alone, Jacob puts His faith in God's promises) He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven, and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. There above it stood the LORD, and he said: "I am the LORD, the God of your father Abraham and the God of Isaac... I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." (Genesis 28)
Manahaim
(Going to meet Esau and fearing, Jacob prays on the ground of God's grace) Then Jacob prayed, "O God of my father Abraham, God of my father Isaac, O LORD, who said to me, 'Go back to your country and your relatives, and I will make you prosper,' I am unworthy of all the kindness and faithfulness you have shown your servant. I had only my staff when I crossed this Jordan, but now I have become two groups. Save me, I pray, from the hand of my brother Esau, for I am afraid he will come and attack me, and also the mothers with their children. But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.' " (Genesis 32a)
Peniel
(But God wants more) So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak. When the man saw that he could not overpower him, he touched the socket of Jacob's hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the man... So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared." (Genesis 32b)
Bethel, Manahaim. These are places I have been, places of surrender and healing, places where God carried my tears. And I have cried rivers. But we should not be surprised that, even when we have put our whole faith and trust in God, He wants more; God wants more of/for us.
I don't know where Peniel is, or what it looks like. But I know I want to go there.

No comments: