..............................Persis is married!..............................

Thursday, November 29, 2007

Richard Goode and the London Philharmonic Orchestra at the Royal Festival Hall


Richard Goode is The Boy's favourite interpreter of Beethoven's piano concertos. Tonight, I heard him live for the first time, at the Royal Festival Hall, playing Beethoven's 3rd piano concerto accompanied by the London Philharmonic. It was a simply moving - I felt tearful at a few points. I think it's wonderful when something so intangible and transient can stir the heart so. It reminds me of life on this side of heaven, for which there is much to give thanks for.

The second act was one of Mahler's very long symphonies (aren't they all?), and I was grateful for the interlude of stop silent and reflect at the end of a long day.

And guess what? I saw Mitsuki Uchida in the audience!

My two companions - JC classmates, can you believe it?! - were marvellous company too, drinks concert dinner and all. I wanted to write a bit about meeting one's past in the present. We were very different people from each other then. They were the artistic glamour-zons of the class, and I was, well, just me. As it turns out, half the boys in my class came out gay, and I don't say this superfluously. Outside the Christian circle, I think some of the people who have made me feel most accepted are my gay friends - unlike some non-gay friends I know ("I don't know how you can think/say that!") *ahem*. They are also some of the most charming, polite, yet straight-talking, people I know. But this was now - all I knew before this evening was what was before. So I was surprised how much I enjoyed myself, and how much I laughed. I also realised, gosh, it's been almost 10 years, and gosh, I've spent my entire twenties in England, and gosh, I'm getting married and moving to a whole different continent. Again. I wondered what kind of person I would have been if I had not come to England, not left Singapore. Then I realised that I, too, had changed. I hope for the better. And for a little moment in time, this thought made me look forward to the next chapter in America.

I had a good time.

No comments: