..............................Persis is married!..............................

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Recipe: Lamb couscous with greek yoghurt

(Am secretly ashamed of state of photography
and will try harder with poor ignored SLR and Photoshop.
But hey, after you've had a whole day's work in the office,
then grocery shopping, then cooked dinner for two.
I know I know, all women are superwomen (to misquote Mr Bingley),
but still...)

My pots had arrived, one two three, mini maxi me. And I was dying to use them. But a sauteuse (maxi) like this requires a dish to live up to it, not to mention all that space! So when SZ texted me: LL's not doing well - buy her dinner, I thought: I love LL - I'm gonna cook her dinner! Then there was The Boy's couscous (and other foods) that I had inherited. And all that wine. So much to eat up, so many possibilities with the sauteuse.

The Boy had made a wicked chicken couscous for me before he'd left - the talented chef he is. Couscous, we concluded, was one of those wonderful things that taste great and is actually good for you. Being a red meat kinda girl, I thought I'd try to re-create his recipe (really adapted from Rachael Ray) with lamb. I was ready to test out that sauteuse of mine!

RECIPE: LAMB COUSCOUS WITH GREEK YOGHURT
Feeds 5,000 (not really, but you get the idea)

A - Meat
500g leg of lamb , cut into chunks

1 tbsp grill seasoning
2 tsp tumeric powder
2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp ground cloves

B - Base ingredients
3 tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped

C - Couscous
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups couscous

D - Garnishing
Dried fruit and nut mix (I like cashews or almonds and sultanas)

E - Greek yoghurt
1 tub (450ml) greek yoghurt
Bunch of mint leaves, chopped finely
3-4 scallions, chopped finely

*****
A - Season meat and leave aside.
B - Heat olive oil in sauteuse (or a big pan with sides). Sear seasoned meat (approx. 5-7 minutes). Push aside and fry onions and garlic till softened (approx. 5 minutes). Mix meat and base ingredients.
C - Add 2 cups of chicken stock. Cooked, covered, until lamb is cooked (approx. 7-8 minutes). Add remaining 2 cups of chicken stock and bring to a boil. Mix in couscous, turn off fire, and let it stand for 5 minutes, covered.
D - Uncover, fluff out couscous. Then add dried fruit and nut mix.
E - Mix garnishing into yoghurt. Serve in a side dish with lamb couscous.

I thought I didn't have much couscous, so I added potatoes as well. But, as it turns out, what appears to be a SMALL handful of couscous really fluffs out to a BIG pan of couscous. I have enough to last me the rest of the week, I think. LL took some home in a doggy tupperware too, plus two of The Boy's bottles of red. Happy happy.

No comments: