..............................Persis is married!..............................

Monday, June 25, 2007

An imagined conversation with God

Have you ever been caught up in the wonder of God's eternal plan and purpose: How everything we do in this life, and all its glorious fruit, is circumscribed by His glory on the Cross, and culminates in the glory of Christ crucified?

God - a command, an entreaty, and a promise:
"Produce fruit in keeping with repentance." ~ Matthew 3:8

"Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labour on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare." ~ Isaiah 55:2

"All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the Lord your God... The fruit of your womb will be blessed." ~Deuteronomy 28:2, 4

Me:
"... and now I bring the firstfruits of the soil that you, O Lord, have given me." ~ Deuteronomy 26:10

I want to bring my firstfruits to You, whether it is writing my PhD thesis or being on time for work at the research institute or taking out the trash for my housemates. But I sometimes feel like I'm just doing. I don't know why I'm doing it or where I'm going.

God:
"... so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." ~ Isaiah 55:11

Me:
?How does taking out the trash relate to your purpose (singular!)?

God:
"The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law." ~Deuteronomy 29:29

""For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." ~Isaiah 55:8-9

Me:
I may not be able to understand or articulate how everything I do each day brings glory to God, but I believe that what Jesus achieved on the Cross is sufficient, and that God's compelling purpose is behind every one of my efforts each day. I am encouraged to persevere in the works of my hand, because I know God will not allow them to be done in vain.

Therefore, focus now on the things you know, the tasks that God has put before you. Produce good fruit of these things. And trust that God will take care of the things unknown.

Just some thoughts over the weekend, which among other things was filled with laziness, babysitting, an indoor church picnic, and a night-time snack with my best friend at MacDonalds (the chicken select is yummy but waaaay overpriced).

No comments: