..............................Persis is married!..............................

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Book review: Should I get married?


I cannot recommend this book highly enough. For those in a serious relationship and considering marriage, it is a sound practical Christian guide to the ingredients that feed a strong marriage. For those who are single, it's great to know what to look out for and be prepared. The chapter on compassion was most awakening for me (it also reminded me of The Boy *tear*), and I took away a few prayer pointers from the author's suggestions for a retreat. There is also a serious section about the FEAR OF COMMITMENT - might be surprising for those of us who pooh-pooh such an idea, but I tell you, all the symptoms are there. Finally, Blaine Smith makes a few reasonable counterpoints to the Josh Harris/Rauniker (whose book I reviewed previously) theses of 'kissing dating goodbye/yes to courtship, no to dating' at the end. The Boy and I bought a copy each some time ago when we were considering the future. I only recently started reading it, to try to find some answers.

Caveat: I totally skipped the bit on Divorce/Remarriage, so have not checked the theology in that section.

No comments: