..............................Persis is married!..............................

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Dorset Cereals

The Boy has a gift for sniffing out healthy foods. When he was living in England, he used to buy muesli and porridge (oats) from Dorset Cereals, which is widely available in grocery stores. When he was gone, I got curious. So one day, I trotted down my local Waitrose with A Project in mind: to compare the nutritional values of every brand of porridge on the shelf (yes, in England, there's usually only one shelf, sometimes less than that, so it was a very doable project). I shouldn't have been surprised: The Boy was right. Dorset Cereals Porridge really had the least carbs and sugars. And it is yummy to boot! Crammed full of fruity goodness. Plus, they turned out to be really nice people too.

Yesterday, I was just about to swipe a box of banana date oatmeal into my shopping cart, when I spied their new cranberry raspberry line. Having been inculcated with the superlative nutritional values of berries, I took the step of comparing the two flavours. Turns out, the berry oatmeal has less sugars than the banana oatmeal (11.0g compared to 17.3g per 100g serving). Cautious as I was about fruit that tastes like fruit in my food (I really don't like it), I decided to give it a try. This morning, I can report that it is yummy yummy yummy!

For folks in the US of A, try the Ezekiel brand: their recipes are inspired by Ezekiel 4:9! And I really do love their instant oatmeal. Alas, I'm always one step behind: The Boy has since moved on to steel cut oats.

No comments: