..............................Persis is married!..............................

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Recipe: Making your own favourite hamburgers


Ok guys, I guess I'll have to admit it: I love beef. No beef about that! (sorry, I couldn't help it) As we speak, my hamburgers are sizzling on the stove and I've got myself a slab of juicy sirloin steak waiting in the fridge for dinner tonight, when I get back from church.

So, I was trawling the internet to see what other people were saying about hamburgers, and you won't believe the number of "genuine burger recipe" claims. There's even a dispute where the burger was born - as Homesick Texan puts it, who cares? I think the more important thing is to understand the basics of burger-ing, then you can create your own perfect burger.


1. Firstly, the most fundamental ingredient, the one that makes or breaks a burger, is the quality of your beef. Obviously, it must be fresh. I don't really mind buying ground beef from the grocery store, but if you like your burger with bits of fat in it, I find it's impossible with ready mince. You'll have to buy a well-marbled steak from the butcher and blitz it in the meat grinder yourself for that.

2. Secondly, seasoning. Most people don't notice the difference seasoning makes, and I don't blame them. I mean, if a burger is slathered in ketchup, mustard, and enclosed in a bun full of other stuff, then it's pretty hard to taste the burger itself. Moreover, every recipe seems to have an opinion what you need to put in. So I'm not gonna claim that my burger is the best - really, you could go just go with salt and pepper. But here's how I've broken down the different components of a burger, so that you can make your very own favourite burger.

(i) Veges: Onion (1/2). Absolute must. Garlic is optional (1 large clove). I also add 2 tbsp of chives or scallions, to give colour, and 2 tbsp of jalapenos, which add tinges of vinegary spiciness. I don't like my burgers chunky, so it's very important for me that all these ingredients are chopped as finely as possible. But I'll confess here: it's probably more because I find chopping therapeutic - there's something very satisfying about seeing vegetables chopped into perfectly symmetrical little bits...

(ii) Herbs: Herbs are what fill the roof of your mouth with a fragrance when you bite into the burger. I think it's important to add your favourite herbs. Mine are oregano (1tsp) and basil (2tsp), which are pretty standard. Rosemary is also an option.

(iii) Wet seasoning: This is totally optional. I add Worcester sauce (1tbsp) and tabasco (3tsp). Mayonnaise flavours and acts as a binding agent at the same time, but I don't really like it in beef burgers, maybe turkey burgers (not my favourite - Elise's dad has the recipe here).

(iv) Binding agent. This is pretty straightforward. If you like your burgers firm, then 1 egg will do the trick. But if you like your burgers a little melt-in-the-mouth, like I do, use 1/2 cup of bread crumbs. If using egg, it should be added last, after all the other ingredients have been mixed.

(v) Salt and pepper to taste.


3. Mix and shape into patties with your hands. Heat 2tbsp of oil in a frying pan. High heat. Or put on grill. 4 mins each side.

Enjoy on their own, or in a bun with lettuce, tomatoes, onions!

No comments: