..............................Persis is married!..............................

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Shopping in the UK sucks

I cannot use a hairdryer. I simply don't know how. I mean, don't you need to be ambidextrous to use these things?? You know, hairdryer in one hand, styling brush in the other. Then you gotta contort yourself to get both in just the right angle to blowdry various parts of your hair. I always end up with tired arms and not-very-nice-hair to show for the exercise.

My answer? What is known in the industry as a hot air styler.

I bought this from Argos recently (to replace my old one which I lost in India):


Vidal Sassoon Hydration Ionic Variation
Hot Air Styler, 1200w

DO NOT BUY! You will find yourself trying and trying to grip your hair with the too-soft bristles and end up with even more tired arms. Not to mention that the grip is so big that your hand gets tired too. Plus, it is DEAFENING. I'm serious, I'm so scared of progressive deafening using the thing that I'm not even going to try to palm it off some poor soul. What a total rip-off.

Luckily, I have another hot air styler (Braun) that I keep in my gym locker, which I bought in SINGAPORE (shopping paradise), AND for much less. It works like a dream.

Just another addition to the long list of things that are wrong with London (like smelly buses/tube, expensive skanky cages called apartments, people who drink too much and swear all the time, dirty uneven streets that trip you, foreigners who can't be bothered to learn English, ugly people on TV, indecisive weather, third world grocery stores (except Waitrose in Brunswick Square and Borough Market), rude customer service, fat people, inflation).

Don't get me wrong - London's a dream in many respects, and I do feel bad that I'm being all negative and irritable here. Don't know why I've been unhappy recently - maybe I've been here too long... or maybe it's because it's been cold, wet and miserable every day... I miss home, where life is easier and I have a C.A.R.

Haven't forgotten promised updates - stay tuned!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You could always move to Houston -sure, we have really high humidity in the summer, ozone issues, and the occasional hurricane/tropical storm - but we also have a great (most of the time) baseball team, pretty good museums (obviously, not on the level of London's), NASA, the Galleria, and other really fun stuff. Also, it pretty much never snows in winter, so you can play outside a lot more!

Houston - it's worth it!
http://www.houstonitsworthit.com/

LG

persis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
persis said...

Yes, I do like the Galleria... *big grin*

We'll have to hit some of the museums and exhibitions in The Heights together next time!

Anonymous said...

Honey, as your well-meaning girlfriend, I'm sorry I have to spell it out honestly: You're just being spoilt. You chose to be in London for all the same reasons and stayed here for close to 10 years on your own volition. If London can't upkeep your lifestyle and sudden reckoning in life, then neither Houston nor Singapore (or wherever else will). I seriously think if you found your own voice, stood on your own feet, it wouldn't matter where you are because you'd be proud to be yourself. And I know you can do that. So stop complaining and look ahead. Don't blame the place on your own unhappiness and insecurities. Look for the goodness of yourself in your surroundings instead!

persis said...

Yes, the last 7 years in London have been good. And now it's time to move on. Like I always say, so long as the final destination (Philippians 3:14) is in sight, everything else in between will fall in line! xx