..............................Persis is married!..............................

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Recipe: Chawan-mushi

24th April 2007. Money spent: £0 (hooray!). Calories burnt: 0 (not hooray).

Being broke, I decided to make my bento box for today out of ingredients in my fridge/pantry. This was the result:


Picture by www.ravintolaopas.net
Sorry, we ate it before a pic could be taken!


Chawan-mushi, or Japanese Egg Custard

5 Ramekin cups

A- CUSTARD
4 eggs
2 1/2 cup dashi (substituted with miso soup, which I had - my last pack)
1tbsp mirin (substituted with Thai fish sauce, which I also had)
1 tbsp light soya sauce
1/2 tsp salt

B- INGREDIENTS
(can be substituted with any meat you have really... I considered using chinese sausages (lap cheong) and SPAM)
1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
5 chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water

A- Beat eggs. Mix rest of ingredients and stir gently into egg mixture. Strain to ensure there are no air bubbles.
B- Divide ingredients equally between ramekin cups. Pour A equally into each cup. Cover and steam for 20 minutes.

Eaten with some rice, a banana and DARK chocolate KitKat!