..............................Persis is married!..............................

Sunday, August 13, 2006

The simple things in life: Chocolate truffles

My midnight dark chocolate truffles

Was feeling tearful earlier. But then I thought about the simple things in life that make me happy, and I thought about these chocolate truffles. Of course, life isn't as simple as that, but that's how it is, isn't it? Life's like that. I couldn't imagine going through it without being lifted up on wings of eagles each day... or without chocolate.

Thanks to greedy goose and kuidaore, who are immaculate domestic goddesses in my book, I was introduced to Alice Medrich's Bittersweet and her glorious truffles au chocolat. Here's proudly presenting my first foray into truffles. This has been a long thought-about project, and the winetasting gave me the perfect excuse. All I will say is, I never knew chocolate is so temperamental, and from now onwards, I have a new respect for truffle-makers, who have to work with such a moody ingredient. But practice makes perfect - I only got it after two batches, chucked down the bin!

No recipe here. I would encourage all chocolate lovers to meet Alice Medrich personally - she's truly the expert in the science and creativity of chocolate. One thing I will say here though: keep all your utensils and bowls very very very clean and very very very dry, and pour hot liquid into chocolate very very very slowly.


Will definitely venture into more complex truffle-making pastures after this, ganache and all. Watch this post!

No comments: