..............................Persis is married!..............................

Monday, July 31, 2006

Borough Market on a bright Saturday morning

I should have brought my camera. But then again, my shopping basket -- really a dark blue backpack with "UBS Financial Services Group" printed on it (how do you differentiate the real shoppers from the posers with their straw and wicker baskets?... like so.) -- was more important, no?

Then there were oh so summery fruits and veg, crispy asian pears, huge bananas, scallions, and my favourite rocket from my favourite stall. Check. Which of course took me past the chorizo, and to my surprise(!) I found some in my bag together with those cute little black pudding sausages. Check. Then there was pork belly and prawns to mince and wrap into little wonton ingots. Weren't the prawns expensive - Saudi Arabian, Madagascan, king prawns, tiger prawns, whatever don't make a difference when you are going to mince mince all of them up (should have got those huge bags of frozen prawns for 5 pounds in Chinatown, dang). Check. There was also comte for my favourite boy, just because he had asked nicely over the phone. So it was his fault entirely that I walked casually past the preserves stall, as casual as can be with those rows and rows of jars one simply had to stop to taste. Spicy gooseberry jam with fresh coriander, hm, that would go well with the wontons, wouldn't it? Check. Beef shank and brisket for Saturday's beef rendang. Check. Oh and there was that naughty and marvellously marbled ribeye I slipped in with the rest of the meat, we mustn't forget.

Well, other than the ribeye, you must admit, this trip was rather tame. Relatively. Strolling out of the market, my now heavy backpack on my shoulders, the sun shining on my face, past the winking flowers in the flower stall, pretty in my cherry print summer dress, I felt positively... healthy.

1 comment:

orangeclouds said...

ahhh how i miss borough market! and that walk down the south bank of the thames...