..............................Persis is married!..............................

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Recipe: Pulled pork


The Boy is crazy about pulled pork. When he was living in London, he discovered the American expat haunt Bodeans, which I wrote about here aeons ago. Ah, memories of their "tenner pig out" - pulled pork, ribs, slaw and chips (fries) for ten pounds. The fact that the founder and owner is from Kansas City and used to smoke his meat a few yards down from his parents, and that they show college basketball on tv, definitely added to the draw.

In the spirit of cooking things that The Boy likes to eat, you can imagine my excitement when Homesick Texan posted an extraordinarily easy recipe for carnitas, Houston style. You must try it! A hunk of pork rump, salt, orange juice and water - and you're good to go! I also added 2 tsp of sugar at the end, to edge the caramelizing a little.


My Lovely Flatmate's cerulean blue Le Creuset oval casserole has lessened the pain of being away from my own cerise one, which now resides permanently in Houston. It has been the source of much warmth and nourishment in our little Marylebone flat. And also pots and pots of great hearty chili - I can't believe I haven't posted a recipe yet! Chili was something I was perfecting a while ago. Will endeavour again when I'm in Houston next.


I've been a little stressed lately - with work and selling my furniture and packing and the wedding and the prospect of leaving London forever and all - and have been looking to the hills (Psalm 121). Tonight, a dollop of salsa, a shred of coriander, and some pulled pork with its sweet crispy edges and soft melting insides, on a corn tortilla heated in a drop of chili oil. A cucumber salad. A roof over our heads. Good conversation. Love and friendship.

I felt we would be so blessed.

No comments: